Q: What is PANDAS?
A: PANDAS stands for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Strep
The hallmark trait for PANDAS is sudden acute and debilitating onset of intense anxiety and mood lability accompanied by Obsessive Compulsive-like issues and/or Tics in association with a streptococcal-A (GABHS) infection that has occurred immediately prior to the symptoms. In some instances, the onset will be 4 to 6 months after a strep infection because the antibiotics did not fully eradicate the bacteria. Many pediatricians do not know the latent variability of strep – Rheumatologists and Streptococcal Experts do.
When strep cannot be linked to the onset of symptoms, the NIMH states one should look into the possibility of PANS (Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndromes).
Q: What are the Signs of PANDAS?
- Obsessive-compulsive behaviors
- Sensory sensitivities
- Abrupt Onset of symptoms
- Motor and Verbal tics and/or Tourette Syndrome like Movements
- Eye Blinking/Eye rolling
- Head shaking
- ADHD symptoms (hyperactivity, inattention, fidgety)
- Severe separation anxiety
- Personality Changes
- Mood Changes (irritability, sadness, emotional swings)
- Rage, Anger
- Sleep disturbance
- Night-time bed wetting and/or daytime urinary frequency
- Fine/gross motor changes (i.e. changes in handwriting)
- Educational regression
- Joint Pain
Many times a child with PANDAS can experience all these symptoms or only some. Many come and go.
What is the difference between PANDAS and PANS?
PANDAS is when specifically strep is connected to the sudden onset of OCD and/or tics along with other listed clinical symptoms. PANS removes the emphasis of the etiologic factor and concentrates on the clinical symptoms. PANS can be triggered by any infectious agent (NOT only strep) in addition to non-infectious triggers which are yet to fully determined, but may include metabolic disorders and environmental factors. Symptoms cannot be explained by any other neurological or medical disorder.
What are the symptoms of PANS?
- Abrupt, dramatic onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder or severely restricted food intake.
- Concurrent presence of additional neuropsychiatric symptoms, with similarly severe and acute onset, from at least two of the following seven categories:
- Emotional lability and/or depression
- Irritability, aggression and/or severely oppositional behaviors
- Behavioral (developmental) regression
- Deterioration in school performance
- Sensory or motor abnormalities
- Somatic signs and symptoms, including sleep disturbances, enuresis or urinary frequency
- Symptoms are not better explained by a known neurologic or medical disorder, such as Sydenham chorea, systemic lupus erythematosus, Tourette disorder or others.
Q: What is obsessive-compulsive disorder look like? (OCD)
A: OCD is an anxiety disorder in which a person has an unreasonable thought, fear, or worry that he/she tries to manage by performing a ritual activity to reduce the anxiety.
What are Essential Oils?
Sometimes called the "life force" of a plant, therapeutic grade essential oils are very complex. They are the immune system of the plant and are stored in special cells, ducts or glandular hairs that are distributed among the flowers, leaves, bark, stems and roots of a plant. These oils protect the plant from bacteria, viruses, molds, fungi and other micro-organisms. They also help to heal inflicted wounds. These unique characteristics make essential oils highly beneficial to humans. A single oil may contain hundreds of constituents that are molecularly aligned in exactly the right manner to trigger a number of responses in the human body. Primarily extracted through careful steam distillation, but also through cold pressing, the purest essential oils are far more powerful and effective than dry herbs, delivering quick and effective results. Any time you hold a bottle of our powerful essential oils, you are holding the pure essence of health-promoting botanicals that can be diffused, inhaled, applied topically, incorporated into massage, or taken internally to.
How do Essential Oils Work?
Perhaps you are wondering how something as simple as essential oils can have such profound effect on health and wellness. The fact is that essential oils are an amazing all natural tool that helps the body do what it was created to do...that is Heal itself! Essential oils have amazing properties and abilities and were mankind’s FIRST medicine. From ancient times to the pages of the bible, and throughout recorded history people have found healing through essential oils. These power-packed volatile liquids are distilled from plants and are actually the immune systems for the plants. Because they are the plants immune systems they embody the key regenerating, oxygenating, detoxifying, antioxidant and immune-supportive properties of the plants. Science has now discovered that intracellular bacteria (bacteria that hide out in the cells to avoid eradication) are often the cause of autoimmune disorders like P.A.N.D.A.S. Because of the tiny molecular structure of the components of an essential oil they are extremely concentrated. Just one drop contains approximately 40 million-trillion molecules. Numerically that is a 4 with 19 zero's after it. (40,000,000,000,000,000,000) Their small molecular size enables them to pass through the skin and be within every cell of the body within 20 minutes. Studies show that they also effectively pass through the Blood Brain Barrier.
The American Medical Association (AMA) has said that if they could find an agent that would pass the blood-brain barrier, they would be able to find cures for ailments such as Lou Gehrig's disease, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease. This agent may be an essential oil. Many essential oils possess antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti-infectious, antitumor, and anti-cancerous properties. Studies have shown that essential oils destroy all tested bacteria and viruses, while simultaneously restoring balance and wellness to the body.
There are three very important compounds that are found in essential oils that make them the powerhouse agents that they are.
1. Phenols: In short phenols create conditions where unfriendly viruses and bacteria cannot live. Their most important feature is that they clean the receptor cites on the cells. If your receptor sites aren’t clean, cells cannot communicate causing a disruption and malfunction, and sickness as the result. The cells in our bodies are constantly sending out and receiving signals. But what if a cell fails to send out a signal at the proper time? Or what if a signal doesn't reach its target? What if a target cell does not respond to a signal or a cell responds even though it has not received a signal? These are just a few ways in which cell communication can go wrong, resulting in disease. In fact, most diseases involve at least one breakdown in cell communication.
2. Monoterpenes: Monoterpenes are found in most essential oils and offer a variety of healing properties. However the most important ability of this compound is the fact that they can REPROGRAM miswritten information in the cellular memory, or DNA. If you have improper coding in your DNA, what happens? Cells malfunction and diseases result, including autoimmune conditions like PANDAS/PAS and even diseases like cancer.
3. sequiterpenes: The last compound is Sequiterpenes molecules deliver oxygen molecules to the cells. Just like hemoglobin does in the blood, these can deprogram miswritten codes in cellular memory. This may hold a breakthrough in diseases like cancer where the main issue is where diseased cells contain misinformation and sequiterpenes can delete it. This happens at the same time that oxygen carried by these molecules creates an environment where cancer cells can’t reproduce. It’s a double action. One disables while the other stops the growth.
Essential oils are very comprehensive and can be intimidating. Without the right help and educated support, using them correctly can be overwhelming. There are hundreds of essential oils and blends that have numerous and diverse benefits and most people have no idea where to begin or what to use. We provide you with a comprehensive essential oils regimen tailored to support your child’s specific needs. We do not sell essential oils. We are here to direct you based upon our experience with both PANDAS and using essential oils, so you know exactly what to use, and how to do it. We are also here to support you through the process.
How Do I Use Essential Oils?
Essential oils are used for a very wide range of emotional and physical wellness applications. They can be used a single oil at a time or in complex blends depending on user experience and desired benefit. Essential oils are usually administered by one of three methods: diffused aromatically, applied topically, or taken internally as dietary supplements.
Our sense of smell influences many physiological pathways including the stimulation of hormones and other metabolic processes. Aromatherapy is founded on the body's predictable response to specific olfactory stimuli. Essential oils are widely used in aromatherapy applications. Certain essential oils, when diffused in the air, can be very stimulating, while others can be calming and soothing. Beyond emotional benefits, diffusing essential oils can purify air of unwanted odors and some airborne pathogens. Low or no-heat essential oil diffusers are recommended as they do not change the chemical structure of the oil being diffused. Essential oils can also be used as cleansing and purifying additives to laundry and surface cleaners throughout the home.
Due to their natural molecular composition, essential oils are easily absorbed by the skin and can be safely applied topically. Application of essential oils can have immediate, localized benefit to the target area of application. They have restorative and calming properties and can be used effectively with massage and beauty therapy. They are also natural disinfectants. The chemical structure of essential oils also allows them to be absorbed into the bloodstream via the skin for internal benefit throughout the body.
Essential oils can also be used as dietary supplements supporting a variety of healthy conditions. Be sure to use only 100 percent pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils and follow all label warnings and instructions. Some essential oils have powerful antioxidant properties while others help support healthy inflammatory response in cells. Many essential oils are generally regarded as being safe for dietary use, but some oils should not be taken internally. Do not use any essential oil product internally that does not have the appropriate dietary supplement facts on its label.
Using essential oils can be both profoundly simple and life changing at the same time. Working with someone who has used essential oils before will help first-time users have a more beneficial and enjoyable experience. A large amount of information is readily available for those desiring to increase their knowledge of essential oil applications. We are here to help you in any way that we can. Our experience is with PANDAS/PANS and how essential oils can have a profound and positive effect. Simply contact us, we will help you.